ModCloth

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Father's Day Is In The Air......


and what better way to show the #1 Dad in your life that he is the best than with a DIY t-shirt?!?! Especially one that has a touch of tiny handprints added to it!!! I got the idea from the craftgawker website, which in turn, linked me to this tutorial from noshings. She made it look real easy, super fun and not to mention we have a mutual love for Mumford and Sons!
In this tutorial, I will show you how myself, and my little guy, created our own one-of-a-kind piece of art. The designs and possibilities are unlimited, it's all about what you can imagine and create!

Supplies:
  • Plain white t-shirt (or color of your choice)
  • Fabric Paint (in various colors)
  • Foam/Paint Brushes
  • Freezer Paper
  • Stencil of choice
  • Exacto Knife
  • Iron
  • Cardboard (to keep the paint from leaking through)
  • Little Hand Prints :)
To start, I outlined this Vikings emblem (from a pumpkin stencil!) onto a sheet of freezer paper, remembering to work my outline on the paper side, NOT the wax side.

(don't mind my scribbles........)

Second, I used the Exacto Knife to cut out the sections that I wanted to add color to. This was quite the task in some places.......
Once the stencil is completely cut to satisfaction, warm up your iron and work out any creases that may be on the t-shirt in the desired area you wish to paint. Next, place your stencil wax side down and iron it into place on the t-shirt, being careful around small corners or points and working out any air bubbles.


All cut out!!
 Next, using a foam or paint brush (I used the paint brush in the tiny spots), paint your t-shirt the way you want!!



Set aside and wait paitently for the paint to dry.............. Once dry, carefully remove the freezer paper and reveil your masterpiece!!


Tah-dah!!!
Last, but DEFINITELY not least, since this is a Father's Day project, I added one more special stencil of my own and my tiny handed helper completed it with the final touch!!! Hope Daddy likes it!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment