Friday, June 27, 2014

Pattern:: Pineapple Crochet Market Bag - Chart & Translation


If you "like" my Facebook page, then you know that I have been working on translating a crochet chart for this insanely cute tote/market bag/hand bag....the name is really your choice!

Link to original site below.

From the picture above, I thought the bag was much larger compared to the picture below.
Link to original site below.


Either way, I liked the design and thought it would perfect for a summer time market bag, or even a jumbo beach bag, with some tweaking of the pattern.
Unfortunately, when I pinned this cute picture on Pinterest, I didn't realize with was a 'chart only' pattern. *insert sad face*
Thankfully, I know how to translate crochet charts!!! At least the more basic ones anyways......

** This post is just for the size above. Stay tuned for larger sizes!**

The pattern below is translated using US terms.

Materials:
  • 100% Cotton Yarn - Lily Sugar'n Cream - Off White or color of choice
  • I/9 - 5mm hook
  • Stitch markers
  • Blunt needle
Pattern:
  1. Start with a magic circle - ch 2 - 16 dc (Note: if magic circles are not your thing; ch 3 - 16 dc in 1st ch). - join with sl st to first dc
  2. ch 3 (counts as dc throughout) - dc in same sp - * 2 dc in next st * - repeat from * to * around - join with sl st to top of beginning ch 3
  3. ch 3 - 2 dc in next st - * dc in next st - 2 dc in next st * around - join
  4. ch 3 - 2 dc in next st - * dc in next 2 sts - 2 dc in next st * around - join
  5. ch 3 - dc in next 2 sts * 2 dc in next st - dc in next 3 sts * around - join
  6. ch 3 - dc in next 2 sts * 2 dc in next st - dc in next 4 sts * around - join
  7. ch 1 - sc in same st - sc in next 5 sts - sk 2 - * 9 dc in next st - sk 2 - sc in next 11 - sk 2 * around - join to first sc
  8. ch 3-(dc-ch 1-2 dc) in same sp - sk 5 sc * dc in next dc (ch 1 - dc in next dc) 8 times - sk 5 sc - (2 dc-ch 1-2 dc) in next st. - sk 5 sc * around - join to top of beg. ch 3
  9. sl st to ch 1 sp - ch 3 (dc- ch 1-2 dc) in same sp * ch 2 - sc in ch 1 sp - (ch 3 - sc in next ch sp) 7 times - ch 2 - (2 dc-ch 1-2 dc) in ch 1 sp * around - join
  10. sl st to ch 1 sp - ch 3 (dc- ch 1-2 dc) in same sp * ch 2 - sc in ch 3 sp (ch3 - sc in next ch sp) 6 times - ch 2 - (2 dc-ch 1-2 dc) in ch 1 sp * around - join
  11. sl st to ch sp - ch 3 (dc- ch 1-2 dc) in same sp * ch 2 - sc in ch 3 sp (ch 3 - sc in next ch sp) 5 times - ch 2- (2 dc- ch1-2 dc) in  ch 1 sp* around - join
  12. sl st to ch 1 sp - ch 3 (dc- ch 2- 2 dc- ch 2- 2 dc) in same sp * ch 2 - sc in ch 3 sp (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 4 times- ch 2 (2 dc- ch 2- 2 dc- ch 2) in ch 1 sp* around- join
  13. sl st to ch 2 sp- ch 3 (dc- ch 1- 2 dc) in same sp- ch 1- sk 2 dc- (2 dc- ch 1- 2dc) in next ch 2 sp * ch 2- sc in next ch 3 sp (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 3 times- ch 2- sk ch 2 and 2 dc- (2 dc- ch 1- 2 dc) in ch 2 sp- ch 1 (2 dc- ch 1- 2 dc) in next ch 2 sp* around - join
  14. sl st to ch 1 sp- ch 3 (dc- ch 1- 2dc) in same sp- ch 3- sc in ch 1 sp- ch 3- (2 dc- ch 1- 2dc) in next ch 1 sp- *ch 2- sc in ch 3 sp- (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 2 times- ch 2- (2 dc- ch 1- 2dc) in ch 1 sp- ch 3- sc in next ch sp- ch 3- (2 dc- ch 1- 2dc) in next ch sp* around - join
  15. sl st to ch 1 sp- ch 3- (dc- ch 1- 2dc) in same sp- *ch 2- sc in ch 3 sp- ch 3- sc in next ch 3 sp- ch 2- (2dc- ch 1- 2dc) in next ch 1 sp- ch 2- sc in ch 3 sp- ch 3- sc in next ch sp- ch 2- (2dc- ch 1- 2dc) in ch 1 sp* around- join
  16. sl st to ch sp- ch 3 (dc- ch1- 2dc) in same sp- *ch 2- sc in ch 2 sp- (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 2 times- ch 2- (2dc- ch 1- 2dc) in ch 1 sp- ch 2- sc in ch 3 sp- ch 2- (2dc- ch1- 2dc) in ch 1 sp* around- join
  17. sl st to ch sp-  ch 3 (dc- ch1- 2dc) in same sp- *ch 2- sc in ch 2 sp-(ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 3 times- ch 2- (2dc- ch1- 2dc) in ch 1 sp- sk top of pineapple- (2dc- ch1- 2dc) in next ch 1 sp* around- join
  18. sl st to ch sp- ch 1- sc in same sp- * ch 3- sc in next ch sp* around- ending with, ch 1- dc to first sc to create join
  19. ch 1- sc in sp made by joining dc- *ch 3- sc in next sp* around- ending with, ch 1- dc to first sc to create join
  20. repeat row 19 to desired height - do NOT fasten off
Handles - First 1/2: (Tip: use a stitch marker at the beginning and end of row 1.)
  1. turn-*stitch marker 1* (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 9 times - ch 1- dc in next ch sp-*stitch marker 2*- turn
  2. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 8 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  3. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 7 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  4. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 6 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  5. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 5 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  6. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 4 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  7. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 3 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  8. (ch 3- sc in next ch sp) 2 times- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn
  9. ch 3- sc in next ch sp- ch 1- dc in next ch sp- turn 
  10. ch 1- sc in same st- ch 3- sc in next sp- turn
  11. ch 3- sc in ch 3 sp- ch 1- dc in sc of previous row- turn
  12. ch 1- sc in same st- ch 3- sc in next ch sp- turn
  13. -  24. repeat rows 11 & 12; 6 times Note: For a longer strap, continue with pattern, always ending with row 11
   25. repeat row 11 - fasten off

Handles - Second 1/2:
* Join yarn with a sl st 10 ch sps from the beginning row of the first half of the handles. (stitch marker 1; see how the stitch marker came in handy?!)

   1 - 24. Continue the same as the first half of handle (above)
   25. Joining row; ch 2- sl st to dc of row 25 on first strap- ch 1- sc in ch 3 sp- ch 1- sl st to ch sp on first strap- ch 2- sl st to sc to join- fasten off- weave in ends

You have just completed your first handle!! Well, almost ;)

For your next handle & strap combo, you are going to do exactly the same as the others.

* Join yarn with a sl st 10 ch sps from the end of your beginning row 1 (stitch marker 2) and continue the handle pattern, First and Second 1/2, as above.

To finish, evenly sc around the inside and outside of the straps, weave in the ends and enjoy your new bag!!
Note: the chart shows specific placing for the finishing sc edge, but I just eye balled it to make it easier :)

So far, I have made a bag with the original pattern size and a jumbo version. I say jumbo (x-large size in pattern), because the thing is huge when I start piling in all my goodies!!!

Here is my completed version of the pattern above:





~~*~~ NOTE: This pattern is NOT my own. I have only translated the original chart to the best of my knowledge. If you come across any errors, or anything that sounds confusing,  please let me know so I may make the proper adjustment(s). You can find the link to the original site, along with the diagram above. ~~*~~

Have a great weekend!!!

** Edited 7/7/2014 to add pictures of my completed version **





31 comments:

  1. Thank you.........Thank you........Thank you.......(smile) Have looked at this pattern on the original site, many times, but could not figure it out................Can't wait to see the larger sizes!!!........(smile)
    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I am making this bag too (I just found your site - thank you!!!!!) and want to make a bigger one. I am trying to do the math and think if I double the base/circle I should have enough stitched to fit twice as many pineapples. Is that what you did when you made a bigger bag?

    Thanks in advance! :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually left the starting circle at 16 dc to keep the hole in the middle small and added 3 more rounds to the base before starting the pineapples.

      So, instead of doing rds 7-9 as above, I did them as follows:

      Rd. 7) ch 3 - dc next 2 sts *2dc - dc next 5 sts.* repeat around - join
      Rd. 8) ch 3- dc next 3 sts *2dc - dc next 6 sts.* repeat around - join
      Rd. 9) ch 3 - dc next 3 sts *2dc - dc next 7 sts. * repeat around - join
      (this gave me 9 pineapples)

      From here, you would continue the pattern as above, starting with rd 7, and crocheting to the desired height.
      I also increased the straps by adding a few more rows to each half before joining.

      I am sure you could double the starting the circle and still get a big bag, I just preferred the smaller hole to keep all the beach toys in :)
      I hope this helps and please let me know if you run in to any problems! I just grabbed my big bag to write this out....lost my notes :/

      ~ Amber

      Delete
    2. Amber, this is exactly what I needed to know! I was worried if I tried to fudge it on my own I would end up having to do a lot of frogging. Not normally a problem but I'm working with jute twine which is a bear to frog (who am I kidding -- it's a bear to stitch, too!) :) THANK YOU so much!!!!!!!!!

      Amy

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I crocheted some Mochilabags but I'll make this one soon. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I'm also follower of your blog now ;)
    Greetings from Holland, Wendy
    Wendy's Mhaaksels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently working on this patter- and have a few questions. Im on row 5 and coming up with and odd number and i cant tell if its bc im doing it wrong or not. I was wondering if you have the stitch count for each row?

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you counting your starting ch 3 as a st? That is the only way I am an getting an odd number :/
      Make sure to join to the first dc, not the ch 3 - hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. My stitches are also off... And I'm confused. The pattern says ch 3's count as a dc and to join at top of ch 3. So your saying join at first dc? I love this pattern but this should be clarified and I agree a stitch count for each row would help. I hate having to rip out 2-3 rows after I realize I'm off... I'm so excited to finish this bag though! Love It!

      "2. ch 3 (counts as dc throughout) - dc in same sp - * 2 dc in next st * - repeat from * to * around - join with sl st to top of beginning ch 3"

      Delete
    3. If you go to the original site it gives the number of stitches that you should have for each of the first 6 rows. I also got off track somehow and was glad to have the stitch count.

      Delete
  5. Thanks a lot for translating and forwarding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the hard work translating the chart! I have not tried it yet, so I may figure it out without needing your help, but I thought I would let you know:

    The instruction numbers are confusing. Under the main pattern it seems to go to 20, then one is told to repeat row 22 to desired height?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing that out! I believe it should be 'repeat row 19'.

      Delete
  7. How can I get the chart only pattern. Thanks Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under the 2nd picture, there is a link in bold to the original site with the chart pattern.
      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Click on the original site link. The charts are there but you will need to know how to read a crochet chart since the abbreviations and symbols are not in English.

      Delete
  8. Thanks a million! I had big fun crocheting the pineapples. So much fun that I plan to make another pineapple market bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  9. Do you have the bigger size pattern and how much yarn did you use for both

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new to crochet and LOVE this market bag ! My bag is getting very wide but I'm hoping the handles will bring it all together. Thanks kindly for translating the chart !! You're very clever !! Will be following your blog for sure !! Thank you and happy new year !! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice, thank you so much for all the work! I understand most of the original diagram, but it is a great help to have your pattern next to it to make sure I'm doing the right thing! I was wondering how big the big bag turned out, do you have measurements? And could you say how many (meters or yards) of yarn you've used? I want to make sure I buy enough, but on a small budget I rather not buy too much:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I followed your written directions and had to frog 2 hours worth of crocheting because it was not working for me... I looked at the chart provided, it starts with ch 3, then 15 double crochet- not 16. Just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is there something missing on row 12 in the written pattern? It seems like the (2 dc- ch 2- 2 dc- ch 2) should have two more DC's after the last chain two.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heaven help me...I am left handed...but I HAVE to try this. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this bag and used the written directions, and the chart. I also did the three extra rows7,8,and 9. Which gave me a 10 in bottom. I had 70 chain 3 spaces. I did some extra rounds and a decease round. This left me with 46, chain 3 spaces. I did 3 more rows and then I followed the pattern. , but added 7 rows of hdc on each part of the handle, before joining. You can see my post on
    knittingparadise.com/Grandmaknitstoo Pineapplemarketbag

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this pattern! Your instructions were very clear and easy to follow. I made the bag and though I ran into some difficulty with the round bottom doing the "potato chip wave", the bag looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://nz.pinterest.com/pin/452189618812604417/ I'd love the translation for this one if you are able

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much cotton yarn should I get for the small bag? Yo never mentioned that. Also, when I click on the link for the original bag, I get only comments no pattern. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete