ModCloth

Monday, March 24, 2014

DIY: Fabric Scraps & Wipes Container Toddler Activity



If you remember, I talked about creating this for Cayley in my post here. Well, this is what I have come up with so far! I finished the shapes and will most likely add more soon...can't forget about all those other sewing projects I have on my list!

~~*~~ You can find the original inspiration from Kim @ A Spotted Pony here! ~~*~~

I added my own little twist to this idea by changing the size of the fabric scraps, sewing two pieces together, making both sides the same instead of one piece, and I added shapes.  You can add anything!!! Shapes, colors, numbers, animal silhouettes or other appliques. The possibilities are endless.....

**NOTE**: When I finished my first piece and tested it out in the container, I noticed that the added thickness with two appliques, instead of one, makes it slightly harder to pull the scrap piece out. You may want to test out the double applique before making all of your scraps this way. My next batch will most likely have a single applique to make it easier.

For this example, I am going to be using the star piece!

First, I picked out the scraps of fabric that I wanted to use. Then, I matched a pattern with a solid color. I should say, Carson picked out the pairing fabrics and did a mighty fine job. Better than I was doing!

Next, I cut two, 8 inch squares out of each patterned fabric and set them aside.


Then, made a rough cut of the amount needed for the shapes from the solid fabric. Two for each shape. Basically, I put the template on top of the fabric and cut around it. See the diamond template over the black fabric?

Cut your Heat & Bond pieces around the same size as the fabric you are using for the shapes.
Following the instructions for the type of Heat & Bond you are using, iron the fabric and Heat & Bond together. (Unless instructed otherwise.)


Using a magic eraser pen, trace the desired shape on to the fabric and cut it out. You've now made an applique! Tah-dah! 
Well.....almost....


Remove the Heat & Bond paper, center the shape on top of an 8 inch square of your choice, glossy side down, and iron in place. Repeat if you are doing an applique on both sides.


Now for the fun part, sewing down the applique! 
**Side note**: There is a type of Heat & Bond that doesn't require sewing, but I have no experience with it. In fact, this is my first experience with this product at all!! It reminds me of freezer paper....
If you try the no-sew version, let me know how it turns out, I may need to use it in future projects!

I used a zig-zag stitch around both stars, clearly not knowing what I was doing. I felt like I was getting the hang of it as I was going along though....


After sewing both stars on to the 8 inch scrap pieces, put them on top of each other, wrong sides together, and sew around the square with a 1/2 - 1 inch seam allowance. I did a 1 inch allowance because I wasn't too concerned about making perfect squares and they were slightly sloppy :/


Don't fear the ugly ends! Because next we are using pinking shears!
Go around the edge of your now, super cute, scrappy square with your pinking shears and give it that extra special touch with the added benefit of less fray!
*Have I sold you on pinking shears?!*


That's it! Only a few more extra steps than the inspirational post from A Spotted Pony! I like having the shapes on both sides, or at least covering up the "blah" side with another piece of fabric, matching or not.


These five scrappy shape pieces are just the start and I can't wait to add more to the batch soon! She loves playing with them, so they are entertainment guaranteed and toddler approved!


All these crazy fabrics, shapes and colors!!! What's a girl to do?!?!?




*Edited to add the pictures of her playing with her new toy! In all the excitement to share this post with you, I forgot them!!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment